The Express Delivery Operative Apprenticeship Standard develops the skills required to provide timed deliveries and collections to homes and businesses. Staff learn how to use world class equipment and software to manage their working day and delivery routes efficiently, and improve productivity and performance. It is a Level 2 standard typically linked to job roles like Courier Driver, Express Delivery Operative and similar.

What skills do staff develop?

Staff develop professional competence in many areas by completing the Express Delivery Operative Apprenticeship Standard. These include:

  • delivery service
  • delivery concepts
  • care of perishable items
  • collections and returns
  • reverse logistics
  • geographic knowledge
  • using maps and navigational tools
  • brand presentation
  • customer service
  • using hardware and software
  • numeracy
  • contract law
  • transport law
  • health and safety procedures
  • business modelling.

Also, staff can improve their maths and English skills if they have not already achieved level 2 standards.


Typically, 12 months

Structure of Apprenticeship

Phase 1 Initial assessment

The initial assessment is a pre-course review to plan the candidate’s training programme. Specifically, it provides the scope to develop a tailored programme which allows the candidate to acquire and practice the particular skills they need for the job role.

Phase 2 Training

Here, the apprentice undertakes a programme of on and off-the-job training which develops the skills of a competent improvement technician. Training fits round around working routines. TRS trainers are on hand to offer ongoing support.

Phase 3 Gateway

The Gateway is a review stage towards the end of the apprenticeship when apprentice, employer and TRS trainer get together to see if any additional training or skills practice is needed.

Phase 4 End Point Assessment

The apprentice is assessed by an independent organisation to see if they have reached the required standards.

Progression options after an apprenticeship

After completion, the staff member can effectively carry out express delivery roles. As an option, they can continue to improve their skills on the LGV Apprenticeship Standard, and then the Transport Manager/Supervisor Apprenticeship Standard if appropriate. This could eventually lead to management positions such as Operational Management, and Senior Express Delivery Management.


For small and medium businesses that do not pay the apprenticeship levy, the Government funds 95% of the apprenticeship.  The employer pays the other 5% plus the apprentice’s wages.  Larger firms that pay the levy can meet 100% of the costs using their levy funds.

Why choose apprenticeships?

  • Address skills shortages
  • Increase staff loyalty, motivation and productivity
  • Tap into available funding
  • A way of ensuring quality standards in your business

Why choose TRS?

  • Approved by Government to deliver apprenticeships
  • Expert advice for businesses on apprenticeship funding
  • Niche manufacturing and logistics industry expertise
  • Many years’ experience of successfully delivering apprenticeships
  • Our trainers can be located onsite at employer premises
  • Free recruitment service

Further information

If you have staff you want to enrol onto the Express Delivery Operative Apprenticeship, or you want to recruit apprentices, please contact Andy on 07719 031203 or complete the blue form to the right of this page.

Find Out More

    I give permission for trs permission to contact me in response to my request.

    GDPR Notice: Please be aware that by contacting us via this form that your information will be used in order for us to service your enquiry. Your data is managed within the terms of our Privacy Policy.