Functional Skills Teacher
Salary: £30,000 (plus mileage at 45p per mile for first 10,000 miles 25p thereafter)
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Location: Mainly home-based, but will be expected to travel to employers’ premises throughout the UK
The Functional Skills Teacher will deliver English, maths and digital functional skills to TRS learners. They will provide tuition to apprentices with additional learning support needs, whether through face-to-face sessions or a virtual classroom. They will ensure compliance with funding rules and invigilation practices. They will provide training and support to the delivery teams in relation to English and maths. They will also support the FS Co-ordinator in the self-assessment of this area.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Own car and willingness to travel
- A recognised teaching qualification
- An English or maths qualification to at least Level 4
- Ability to deliver specialist teaching to learners with additional support needs
- Excellent IT skills, including experience in using Microsoft Word and Excel
- Exceptional accuracy and attention to detail
- Excellent organisational skills and ability to meet deadlines
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work on own initiative
- A Level 5 SEN qualification would be highly desirable
- Teach functional skills to learners through virtual and face-to-face teaching sessions.
- Monitor, evaluate and report on learner progress and achievement, and keep accurate course and learner records, including registers, attendance reports, assessment records, statistical data and course files.
- Develop own learning programmes/materials in line with aims, objectives, mode of assessment and accreditation, and prepare schemes of work. Tailor these to align them to apprentices’ occupations and roles.
- Work with the administration team to ensure funding compliance in relation to functional skills and produce audit evidence to support funding claims and support funding audits.
- Ensure management information systems and learners’ e-portfolio show the correct functional skills, progress and achievements levels.
- Track and monitor the completion of initial assessments, diagnostic assessments and progression through levels
- Produce learning plans for functional skills for each learner, including those with additional support needs.
- Provide specialist additional learning support to those in need and provide audit evidence to support additional funding claims.
- Provide rich feedback to learners, supporting continuous development and fostering an environment of lifelong learning.
- Liaise with the training team to ensure exams are planned, booked timely, invigilated appropriately and are well attended, and meet awarding organisations’ expectations.
- Support the gateway to the EPA process and provide evidence of functional skills achievements.
- Manage and deliver the entry-level assessments on behalf of the trainers.
- Participate in staff development activities in consultation with Line Manager and identify own training needs
- Contribute to group and team discussions
- Contribute to the self-assessment process and arising quality development initiatives.
- Other duties compatible with the post, as defined by the Director and his representative
- Actively promote and contribute to TRS Training Ltd’s Equal Opportunities, Prevent, British Values and Safeguarding policies.
This organisation is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of learners and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. The amendments to the Exceptions Order 1975 (2013) provide that certain spent convictions and cautions are ‘protected’ and are not subject to disclosure to employers and cannot be taken into account. This post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974. Guidance and criteria on the filtering of these cautions and convictions can be found on the Disclosure and Barring Service website.
TRS Training welcomes applications from all members of the community regardless of age, race, ethnic background, religion or belief, gender, sexual orientation or disability.
TRS Training retains personal data in line with the provisions of the Data Protection Act 2018. All data will be retained securely, and for the purposes it was given only. It will not be retained for longer than six months where appropriate and applications which do not result in employment will be confidentially destroyed after this period.
This post is subject to Enhanced DBS clearance.
To apply, please forward your CV to email@example.com