At TRS Training, we focus on taking all steps to ensure apprenticeships deliver what employers and individuals need. Working as their partner, we enable companies to develop a productive, adaptable workforce with professional skills.
The LGV C+ E Apprenticeship programme helps drivers get their LGV licence and acquire skills to carry out their jobs effectively. We assist employers who wish to upgrade existing employees’ skills or recruit new staff to fill their vacancies.
The Large Goods Vehicle (LGV) Driver C + E Apprenticeship Standard develops the skills required to drive large goods vehicles (vehicles with a Gross Combined Weight of over 7500kg) in a safe and fuel-efficient manner, ensuring that the right products are delivered at the right time, location, condition and temperature (if required), with the correct documentation and within the shortest lead times. LGV drivers deliver to a range of settings such as warehouses, shops, and private homes. Their customer base ranges from large global organisations to sole traders, private customers, and the military. They may work within one or more sub sectors, including shipping, removals, import/export, freight, hazardous goods, and food. They may be required to work shifts, unsociable hours, and usually work alone.
What skills do staff develop?
Staff develop professional competence in many areas by completing the Large Goods Vehicle C + E Apprenticeship Standard. These include:
- driving the vehicle safely and following the law
- Carrying out deliveries in a timely and safe manner, using the most efficient route
- Providing excellent customer service
- Communicating effectively with customers and colleagues
- Working with transport managers and loaders
- Supervising the safe loading of the vehicle
- Checking the vehicle’s roadworthiness
- Taking care of the vehicle
- Ensuring goods are not cross-contaminated
- Reporting accidents in compliance with the law and company procedure
- Performing daily vehicle checks
- Continuing training to be aware of new methods and legislation
- Maintaining the yard
- Safeguarding the vehicle when not in use
- Using equipment and machinery safely
- Using role-related technology such as tachographs
- Understanding different types of cargo and their carriage requirements
As part of the apprenticeship, the candidate will achieve their Cat C + E licence.
Also, candidates can improve their maths and English skills if they have not already achieved level 2 standards. They will develop their understanding of safeguarding, wellbeing and professional behaviours.
Typically, 13 months
Structure of Apprenticeship
Phase 1 Initial assessment
The initial assessment is a pre-course session to plan the candidate’s training programme. Specifically, it provides the scope to assess the candidate’s existing skills and develop a tailored programme allowing the candidate to acquire and practice the particular skills of the job role.
Phase 2 Training
Here, the apprentice undertakes a programme of on and off-the-job training, which develops the skills of a competent Large Goods Vehicle Driver. Training fits round around working routines. TRS trainers are on hand to offer ongoing support.
Phase 3 Gateway
The Gateway is a review stage towards the end of the apprenticeship when apprentice, employer and TRS trainer get together to see if additional training or skills practice is needed.
Phase 4 End Point Assessment
The apprentice is assessed by an independent organisation to see if they have reached the required standards.
Progression options after an apprenticeship
After completion, the staff member can effectively carry out the tasks and responsibilities of a Large Goods Vehicle Driver. If appropriate, they can continue to improve their skills by progressing onto the Warehouse/Transport Operations Supervisor Apprenticeship Standard.
For small and medium businesses that do not pay the apprenticeship levy, the Government funds 95% of the apprenticeship. The employer pays the other 5% plus the apprentice’s wages. Larger firms that pay the levy can meet 100% of the costs using their levy funds.
Why choose apprenticeships?
- Address skills shortages
- Increase staff loyalty, motivation and productivity
- Tap into available funding
- A way of ensuring quality standards in your business
Why choose TRS?
- Approved by Government to deliver apprenticeships
- Expert advice for businesses on apprenticeship funding
- Niche manufacturing and logistics industry expertise
- Many years experience of successfully delivering apprenticeships
- Our trainers can be located onsite at employer premises
- Free recruitment service
If you have staff you want to enrol onto the Large Goods Vehicle Driver Apprenticeship, or you want to recruit apprentices, please contact Andy on 07719 031203 or complete the blue form to the right of this page.
View more information on Institute of Apprenticeships website